Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Perfect Square

Today my students took the reading OAA.  In the afternoon we read Perfect Square to have some fun. but still review some important concepts that they'd need later this week. We tied it into measuring because they needed to have perfect squares for the project and we take the math OAA in a few days.

This project was a little tougher than I thought it would be. Most of my students like to be very precise and draw pictures exactly as they are rather than chopping up paper and making something out of it.

Before reading the story, I had them select a piece of colored construction paper.  I wanted some variety and they had no idea what they'd be using the paper for, so variety is what we had.

 
After reading the story, they had to measure the paper and make a perfect square.  I gave them a little unintentionally twist. I told them that they'd be using 8 1/2 x 11 paper.  Oops! 

It turned out to be a great problem solving activity.  My higher students figured it out before I noticed the problem and they made their perfect 9x9 squares.

Everyone else had to decide how to make it a 8 1/2 x 8 1/2 perfect square which was a great review for some students. A few may have ended up with 7 x 7 squares. 

Here's one work in progress. 


As they were working, I stumped them with my blue torn pieces. Then I added some green coloring around them and one student slowly started to figure out my picture. It was fun to hear them guess.

Once she figured out that it was a field of flowers, I wanted to know what type of flowers. I tossed out a clue: I was born in the state.  They were convinced I was born in Colorado, which is funny because I always thought I'd move there and teach. 

One student guessed Texas and asked if it was the state flower. She was right, but she wasn't sure of the name. 


Everyone had to include:  On _________, the square was ________. So it made itself into _______.

No comments:

Post a Comment